Do Not Pick or Eat Deadly Mushrooms
Monday, December 19, 2016
Deadly Mushrooms are popping up in Parks. Please note that San Mateo County Ordinance 3.68.080(a) protects all vegetative resources in County Parks including mushrooms. Mushroom collecting and eating is not allowed.
If you, or anyone you know, eats wild mushrooms, please let them know that Death Caps, Amanita phalloides, can be found in parks around the Bay Area right now. Dogs are at risk as well. If you are mushroom hunting outside our parks, don't eat any mushrooms you collect unless you are absolutely sure of identification. When in doubt, throw it out!
Anyone who has eaten a wild mushroom and is experiencing abdominal pain, cramping, vomiting, and diarrhea should seek medical attention immediately and call California Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. See the North American Mycological Association resources on poisonings and mushroom ID.