2021 Take a Hike Challenge
Welcome to the 2021 Take A Hike Challenge! We have selected seven hiking routes in our parks to introduce you to the variety and beauty of your San Mateo County Parks! A special reward is available for those who complete the #2021TakeAHikeChallenge.
Follow these steps to complete the challenge:
- We recommend you download the free OuterSpatial App (learn more). This app has all the challenge routes and locations available. You can also download the below PDFs of the challenge locations. View the 2021 Take A Hike Challenge in OuterSpatial »
- Plan ahead for your hike.
- Some trail routes may be easier and some harder. Try your best to complete the route and if you’re looking for a longer hike try exploring other parts of the park.
- You can complete the challenge in any order you prefer! We will be highlighting a different park each month, but you do not need to complete that park in that month.
- Cowell-Purisima Trail and Devil’s Slide Trail have free parking and the rest have $6 vehicle entrance fees.
- Some parks allow dogs and others do not. Check out the individual pages for each park for more information! Learn more about Dog Access in County Parks.
- Take a selfie or group photo at the designated spot. See the photos below for where to take your picture.
- Help promote the challenge and share your photo on social media with the hashtag #TakeAHikeChallenge and the hashtag at the particular park, for example #SanBrunoMountain. Note: You don’t have to share on social media to qualify for the prize.
- To report your completed challenge and to submit for a prize, please fill out this form.
The deadline to complete the 2021 Take A Hike Challenge and claim your prizes is November 30th 2021.
We have an alternative set of routes for those who prefer paved or gravel surfaces and less steep routes. Follow the same method above for reporting your completed challenge. View alternative route options »
Four Challenges - Flashlight, Reusable Utensils, and Hiking bag
All Seven Challenges - Above prizes + Aluminum Water Bottle
*Please note that supply for prizes is limited to the first 200 participants.*
For questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.
Thank you to our partners!
- San Mateo County Parks Foundation
- Kaiser Permanente
Route 1: Coyote Point Recreation Area
Route 2: San Pedro Valley Park
Route 3: Devil's Slide Trail
Route 4: Huddart Park
Route 5: Sam McDonald Park
Route 6: Memorial Park
Route 7: Cowell-Purisima Trail