Fitzgerald Marine Reserve Reservations
Advanced reservations are required for all groups of 15 persons or more to visit the tidepools at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve. Doing so limits the number of persons on the reef at any one time, reduces impact on marine life, and helps us protect and preserve the marine resources for future generations.
Reservations are filled by an application process that makes it easier to schedule a group visit and provides more outdoor educational opportunities to schools where at least 40% of children are from low-income households (Title 1 schools).
Tour Application Process
- The application process runs yearly from August 15 to September 15 and allows schools to apply for the entire season. In mid-August check the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve webpage for news of the registration opening.
- The application allows groups to select up to 10 preferred tour dates.
- There is a limit of 100 students/participants per single tour date.
- Applications will only be accepted for groups with students/participants in grades 3 and up.
- For grades 3-12, one adult chaperone per 5 students is required.
- Additional students/participants cannot be added once the reservation application is submitted.
- When the application period closes we will review applications and work to match reservation dates to the preferred dates selected in the application, with priority given to Title 1 schools.
- Department staff will contact groups to confirm reservation dates within at least 4 weeks of application period close date.
- The reservation fee is $35 per group.
If tour dates remain open following this process, groups will be notified and will be allowed to make reservations by calling (650) 363-4021.
These reservations must be made by the first of the month that precedes the month of your desired reservation date. For example, if you would like to make a reservation for March, the last day to make that reservation would be February 1st.