Dog Pilot Program Underway
Updated Thursday, June 6, 2019
The pilot program to expand on-leash recreational opportunities in San Mateo County Parks for dogs and their owners is currently underway.
This program is being developed by the Dog Work Group, a mix of members of the public, Parks Commissioners and staff, which are working to identify potential park locations where on-leash dog walking can be piloted and evaluated in keeping with San Mateo County's newly revised dog ordinance. To learn more about the Work Group and see their calendar of meetings visit our Dog Work Group page
There are several current pilot locations where park rangers are welcoming visitors with their dogs and talking to them about the regulations. During this education phase, now and through the month of June, rangers will provide written information, doggy waste bags and other items. In July 2019, rangers will use their discretion and issue citations for infringements of the County’s ordinance.
You can walk your dogs on leash at:
- Devil’s Slide Trail
- Pillar Point Bluff
- Quarry Park
- Mirada Surf
- Coastal Trail at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
- Bay Trail at Coyote Point Recreation Area.
Beginning June 15, 2019:
Please be sure to:
- Always keep dogs on leash
- Scoop the poop
- No more than 3 dogs per person
- Keep leash 6 feet or less when near others
- Keep dogs out of playgrounds and other undesignated areas
- Leave wildlife and vegetation undisturbed