Trail Closures in Pescadero Creek & Sam McDonald Parks
Updated Thursday, May 14, 2020
Starting in May Old Haul Road and associated trails will be partially closed due to an infrastructure improvement and hazard reduction project. The closure is between Towne Fire Road and the Snag Trail and includes the following trails:
- Old Haul Road – From Towne Fire Road to Snag Trail
- Shaw Flat Trail – From Shaw Flat Camp to Old Haul Road
- Ocean View Trail – From Butano Ridge Road to Old Haul Road
See a map of the closure »
This project is being undertaken to ensure the long term viability of infrastructure and the safety of park users. Please be careful and alert when approaching construction areas, and please observe posted closures when they appear. The closure is expected to end October 15, 2020. Learn more about the Dark Gulch Stream Crossing Repair Project »
Most single track trails will be open to horses beginning Sunday, May 10, 2020. The following trails will remain closed:
- Shingle Mill Trail
- Portola Trail
- Butano Ridge Trail
- Pomponio Trail between junctions 38 and 51 and between Portola State Park and Tarwater trail camp.
- The Tarwater and Shaw Flat Trail Camps are closed for maintenance work until further notice.
- Basin Trail connecting to Big Basin State Park is closed indefinitely at Junction #85 as work is performed on private property through which the trail easement passes. There will be no alternate connecting route from Pescadero Creek Park to Big Basin State Park. Check back for updated closure dates.