SOD Blitz 2019
At Portola Valley Town Center
Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 10:00am
Have you noticed how many tanoaks are dying along Skyline Boulevard, or in Huddart, Wunderlich, and Memorial Parks? The Answer - Sudden Oak Death [SOD] (Phytophthora ramorum). This introduced pathogen, closely related to algae, has been killing large swaths of oak and tanoak throughout northern California.
Do you want to help do something about it? Join the 2019 SOD Blitz!
SOD Blitz, is a citizen science program which provides volunteers an instructional course in the history, life cycle, and the most up-to-date control measures on SOD. After the crash course in mycology, attendees are provided sampling packets and instructions on how to collect symptomatic leaves of California bay and/or tanoak for lab testing. Results from lab cultured leaves will confirm whether samples tested positive for SOD. The data collected in this annual program helps forest pathologists verify the rate of SOD spread.
The education component and field sampling will occur in separate locations:
Attendees will congregate at the Portola Valley Town Center to attend the mandatory training.
Sample Collection 12-4pm (estimated)
After the mandatory training participants will be assigned a survey area within either Wunderlich or Huddart parks for field sampling. Field sampling will ideally occur with in groups of 2-4 participants.
- Personal transportation will be required and carpooling, or small groups are encouraged.
- Attendees may be required to hike trails with Moderate to Strenuous ratings to reach sampling locations, and should expect to hike up to 4-6 miles.
- Attendees may need to travel slightly off trail on steep terrain to obtain viable leaf samples.
- While we don’t expect volunteers to walk through poison oak, as with any hiking excursion, everyone should be aware that contact with poison oak may occur.
- Dress appropriately for the conditions footwear and clothing compatible for hiking recommended.
- Food and drink will not be provided. Bring sufficient water and food as you see fit to accommodate your needs.
- Sampling will occur rain or shine!